Stage 3 - Application
Submitting an application to connect initiates key activities in the connection process. Connection Applicants should submit their application to the connecting Network Service Provider (NSP), together with any specific documents and information the connecting NSP has requested. Typically, data submitted will include proposed performance standards.
The connecting NSP will then perform connection studies, and will forward some of the information and the proposed performance standards to AEMO.
AEMO’s role is to review and negotiate performance standards with the Connection Applicant and the connecting NSP. Once performance standards are agreed, they become the agreed performance standards for the facility to be built.
In support of an application to connect, AEMO will typically require:
- Proposed performance standards – completed Performance Standards template (see Documents checklist below for templates relating to your connection type).
- Description of the proposed installation, including data requirements outlined in Schedules 5.4 and 5.5 of the National Electricity Rules (Rules).
- Model package, including simulation models and associated design data (see AEMO’s Modelling requirements page for more details on the data and model packages required).
- Project and commissioning programs.
The proposed performance standards must be consistent with the access standards detailed in the relevant Schedules of Chapter 5 of the Rules. Note that AEMO has recently proposed a generator technical performance standard rule change, which is available on the AEMC website here: http://www.aemc.gov.au/Rule-Changes/Generator-technical-performance-standards.
If AEMO’s technical information requirements are not met, the application to connect is not complete. The connecting NSP will advise the Connection Applicant of the additional information required before the application to connect can be processed.
AEMO’s costs will be recovered through the connecting NSP, who will invoice the Connection Applicant directly (see AEMO’s Schedule of Fees and Charges for Generation Connections 556 KB, pdf).
This stage will conclude upon AEMO’s notification to the connecting NSP of AEMO’s agreement to the performance standards and any system strength remediation scheme (clause 5.3.4A and 5.3.4B of the Rules).
NSP: receives and reviews submitted data, forwards proposed performance standards and necessary information to AEMO and other affected NSPs, and undertakes technical studies and provides study results to AEMO and other affected NSPs.
Connection Applicant: submits connection application and required information (including proposed performance standards) to the connecting NSP, provides clarification on the submitted data if requested, and participates in the negotiation of performance standards.
You will require the following documents for this stage:
- Generator Performance Standards (GPS) Template (187 KB, docx)
- Generator Performance Standards (GPS) Template - pre NER v113 (185 KB, docx)
- Connections Application Checklist (465 KB, pdf)
- Generator Technical Requirement template
- Customer Performance Standards template
- Customer Technical Requirements template
- Market NSP Technical Requirements template
- Data and model packages – see AEMO’s Modelling requirements page
- Guideline and Template for preparation of a Releasable User Guide (1 MB, pdf)
- Template for preparation of a Releasable User Guide (1.8 MB, docx)
At this stage you may find the following documents useful:
- Technical Information Requirements for Connection of Generators
- AEMO’s Power System Stability Guidelines page
- AEMO’s Schedule of Fees and Charges for Generation Connections (291 KB, pdf)
- AEMO’s Registration pages
- Criteria for Assessing Material Inter-Network Impact of Transmission Augmentations
- Guidelines to assist Registered Participants to determine when an Inter-Network Test may be required
- Generation Alterations in the NEM except for Victoria process map (146 KB, pdf)
- AEMO Standard for Power System Data Communications
- Clarification of S5.2.5 Technical requirements
- Guidelines for Assessment of Generator Proposed Performance Standards (720 KB, pdf)
For enquiries regarding connections, please contact email@example.com